We love the summer, and summer salads! And this recipe is great with the Penedo Borges Cabernet Sauvignon that we have on special. Pick up a bottle now, and try this delicious salad for yourself. It’s salty, sweet, and refreshing, making it perfect for a hot late summer day in North Attleboro, MA! Pair with craft beer for the ultimate late-summer treat.
For the salad
3 tbsp shelled pistachios or walnuts
3 tbsp almonds or almond slivers
Zest and juice from 4 limes
7 fl oz of olive oil (extra virgin preferred)
½ cup cherry tomatoes, halved or quartered
250 grams cantaloupe, cubed
250 grams watermelon, cubed
7 oz (200g) of smoked fish or prosciutto (optional) torn to small pieces
7 oz crumbled feta cheese
1 cup basil leaves, packed
For the reduction
4 cups balsamic vinegar
½ cup marsala (any cooking wine can be substituted)
½ cup Cabernet Sauvignon, your choice
- Begin by putting a heavy saucepan over medium-low heat. Add balsamic vinegar, marsala or cooking wine, as well as the Cabernet Sauvignon. Cook until it has reduced in volume by two-thirds, and has a thick and honey-like consistency. This may take 2-3 hours, so crack open a book!
- Fry your nuts in a small frying pan for about 5 minutes, over medium heat. Cook for about 5 minutes, or until they are golden brown. Cool in a bowl.
- Add lime zest and juice to a small bowl. Mix in the olive oil. Stir with a fork or whisk, until brought together.
- Toss tomatoes, cantaloupe, and watermelon with the lime/olive oil dressing.
- Put the smoked fish or prosciutto on the top of the melon and tomatoes (if using), and crumble feta over the salad.
- Add basil leaves and toasted nuts, and combine. Drizzle the salad with the balsamic reduction. Season to taste with crushed black pepper and sea salt.
Enjoy This Unique Salad! With the light, fruity flavor of melon, tomatoes, and citrus, the grassy flavor of basil, and the thick and rich texture of the balsamic reduction, this salad is sure to please.